Author Topic: Ten Reasons to Love Liferay  (Read 2205 times)


  • Sergeant
  • *
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ten Reasons to Love Liferay
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:56:14 PM »
1. Liferay has the lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) compared to its competitors starting with its licensing costs. Downloading it and getting it running takes a matter of minutes (check out

2. Second-to-none rich out-of-the-box (OOTB) functionality around core portal, content management, collaboration, social, mobile, security and more;

3. All portal products typically need extensions and/or additions to deliver requisite functionality – with Liferay you can simply do more within a specific budget.

4. Product innovation – leader in introducing new capabilities whether it be AJAX or friendly URLs or mobile or social

5. Improved business agility – it is lightweight in nature enabling you to get it running and configured quickly; its ease of use and management enable your IT and business users to configure, tailor, and develop custom functionality on Liferay to meet your business objectives.

6.  mature Enterprise Open Source (fully supported) product – a variety of support options including 24x7x365 platinum support with 1 hour response time SLA; this includes access to all service packs, hot fixes, notifications of security alerts, phone and web based support.

7. iferay’s open architecture and its open source nature help you avoid lock-in to a single proprietary vendor. Liferay adheres to several specifications including JSR-168 (Java Portlet Specification v1.0), JSR-286 (Java Portlet Specification v2.0), JSR-170 (Java Content Repository Specification), JSR-127 (JavaServer Faces), WSRP (Web Services for Remote Portlets – standard for enabling interoperability between multiple portal vendors where one portal provides a portlet and another consumes that remote portlet) 1.0, WSRP 2.0, WebDAV (Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning), SAML (Security Assertion Markup Language for Federated SSO), and more.

8. Liferay’s hook and extension plugin model allows you to tailor product behavior to your needs without rewriting from scratch and without creating upgrade hell (if done right). With most other portal vendors, if an OOTB feature meets 80% of your need, then getting the remaining 20% might be difficult and expensive, or worse, you may need to live with the limitations or recreate the functionality from scratch.

9. Liferay offers opportunities for product feature sponsorship to enable contributions back into the core product for key customizations – this allows you to offload responsibility of maintaining and enhancing your custom features back to Liferay.

10. Liferay offers you a full choice of application servers, databases, and operating systems to run on, thereby allowing you to leverage your infrastructure and skills investment.